58 people are presumed dead in Grenfell Tower disaster

0
124

A total of 58 people are missing and presumed dead in the Grenfell Tower blaze.

Met Police commander Stuart Cundy said the force knows 58 people were in the tower block on the night of the disaster.

 

Those 58 people are missing and presumed dead in the fire, he said.

Mr Cundy said the official death toll remains at 30, while the other 28 people are presumed to be dead.

He said: ‘Sadly at this time, there are 58 people who we have been told were in Grenfell Tower on the night that are missing and therefore sadly I have to assume that they are dead.’

ALSO READ  Omg! Drama in Church as Pastor's Wife Storms Sunday Service to Expose His Affair With Choir Member

 

58 people are presumed dead in Grenfell Tower disaster

Mr Cundy spoke to the media near the site of the fire (Picture: PA)


Adding that the figure could increase, Mr Cundy said more people may have been in the block on the night but police have not been made aware of their whereabouts.
He said: ‘For me, this is a human tragedy.’
It will take weeks or longer to recover and identify all the people who died, he said.

The search for remains had been paused over safety concerns but has now resumed.
Emergency workers have reached the top of the 24-story tower.
Mr Cundy promised an exhausting investigation into the tragedy.
Mohammed Alhajali, a 23-year-old Syrian refugee whose brother said he had died in the fire, was formally identified as the first victim by Mr Cundy.
This is a breaking news story and will be updated.

LEAVE A REPLY