Both players appeared to suffer knee injuries in Manchester United’s Europa League win over Anderlecht
Thursday’s quarter-final second leg against Anderlecht at Old Trafford, which United won 2-1 in extra time on the night for a 3-2 triumph on aggregate, saw striker Ibrahimovic hobble off after landing awkwardly towards the end of normal time and defender Rojo depart on a stretcher in the first half.
Asked about the condition of the pair, Mourinho said: “I want to wait, but my feeling is not good for both.
“I want to wait and try to be optimistic, but I am not.”
Ibrahimovic receives medical attention (Photo: REUTERS)
Rojo is stretchered off (Photo: Getty Images Europe)
Rojo’s injury comes at a time when United already have Phil Jones (foot) and Chris Smalling (knee) sidelined.
When it was put to him that he was facing a significant lack of options at centre-back, Mourinho mentioned Daley Blind – Rojo’s replacement from the bench – before suggesting Jones and Smalling needed to be “brave”.
Mourinho, who earlier this season made an apparent criticism of Smalling’s pain threshold, said: “We have Daley Blind, who has experience in the position, and I think it is time for Jones and Smalling to be brave – to risk.
Video thumbnail, Marcos Rojo LIMPS out of stadium after Anderlecht clash
CLICK TO PLAY
Mourinho faces the press after 2-1 victory Anderl
MARCOS ROJO LIMPS OUT OF STADIUM AFTER ANDERLECHT CLASH
“Because for the team you have to do everything, that is the way I think. You cannot do miracles, so miracles I don’t expect, but they have to try to do everything to accelerate the process.
“They have injuries, and even with a crazy mentality, they cannot play Sunday (at Burnley in the Premier League).
“But with a special spirit, you can (come back) sooner than expected. So instead of mid-May, it could be the beginning of May, this kind of acceleration of the process.”
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Share on Skype (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)